Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Dr. Battie symbolisation

I have published something about Dr. Battie, the first physician who chosed psychiatry as his field of speciality, and after that I suspected that his name got other some symbolisation, (suspected? am I paranoid?) I suspected that from one of the comments, (thanks to Tracy who sends me that comment and who always gives me feedback about my posts with her nice comments), and It was just by accedent that day when I was reading a book about history of psychiatry were the writer tell us how the word BATTY came to mean CRAZY in english language and he suspects (suspects?) that it came from that psychiatrist's name... He also states this: "it is generally believed that the term comes from the saying Bats in the Belfry, referring to having something amiss in the top story or head".
At first I thought and why they specify BATS in that qutation, but then I remembered that Bats have very poor vision and they make there way by making sounds and hearing where there sounds make echo, (like a radar), so if a huge bell in the belfry will ring....they will loose there way...yeah..that was a nice qutation...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Wherein i Get Mentioned by Name in a Blog...Wow!"

Thanks, Dr. El Bedri, what a pleasant suprise, to come here and see my name in print, on my favorite blog...and such kind words said...you are a sweetie...! Yes, I truly loved reading about Dr. Battie and especially loved the connection with his name, being a "battie" one myself...lol! And what a perfect post for this Halloween time of year in the US...do you have a similar type of holiday in Iraq?
Thank you again, please send my greetings to Dr. Wisam, big ((sisterly!)) hug to yourself, tracy

saminkie said...

dear Tracy, thank you for letting me know about Halloween time, cause we don't have like it...I always tell Dr. Wisam about your greeting...thank you for the nice sweet word you say about me...you are a sweetie too..and a sweetie + sweetie = real big hug...

Anonymous said...

oh! Dr. Al Bedri, i l o v e your math! There are no words to describe how much you mean to me. You are God's Gift. Bless you always, tracy

saminkie said...

thank you Tracy me too am happy when i see your comments... and it mean much to me....