Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Catcher in the Rye

I passed more than half of the novel yet didn't understand the significance of the title. I started to hurry up the reading and some words started to be missed. I liked Phoebe much, so when she appears in the papers I slow down and here comes the lines where the word RYE appears again and CATCHER too:

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around-nobody big, I mean-except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff-I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy"

Well it was hot where I live with no electricity to use an airconditioner so I didn't understand that paragraph and read it once again and thought that I failed to catch the idea. I reached another beautiful paragraph qouting a psychoanalyst named Wilhelm Stekel in page 195 and it says:

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."



 I went out a 3 p.m. for a walk and it was so so hot and dry. Streets were empty and there were no buses. I started to think about the words I learned: "dough, phony, lousy" and I didn't find more. A bus came and there was only me and the driver. We started talking. He told me about his idea of leaving Iraq to Georgia, "eastern Europe is cheap and one can buy lodgment and work anything", he added: "and the weather is fine."

He told me about his nephew and his wife and how they ended before 5 years in Belgium. His nephew had 20,000 $ and that was enough to be an asylum seeker and they now live there. The driver also with that he might join them.

I told him some stories of mine that you may know, my trial to work outside and my failure, my confusion about what to do. Finally I landed where I wanted to go and that first paragraph of the Cathe in the Rye that prevent children going beyond that CRAZY CLIFF hit my mind. Here is the question that came in my mind: Is it guarding inocence? Is it about the keeping of that treasure of being able to get surprised and amazed about things that characterizes our childhood and fades away as we get older?

I liked Phoebe much like a young sister. I liked Phoebe as Holden do. I want to be a Cather in the Rye too. But somewhere in Georgia for example or in the Provence of France. You say Spain? why not? I dream about learing Spanish language. Is that song "Gracias a la vida" spanich or portugese? cause I don't know the difference. Anyway. Hot weather and that dry sun that hit my skull all this afternoon had their effects on what I write right now.

P.S. I love Phoebe as I like Scout (Scout of To Kill a Mockingbird). Love.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hola: Perdona que te escriba en español (pero no hablo el inglés). La canción "Gracias a la vida" está en español, su autora fué Violeta Parra (chilena), y la canta Mercedes Sosa (de Argentina).

saminkie said...

Gracias Artearq7 :)