Monday, August 27, 2007

where is my paper


My fourth year of residency in psychiatry will start this October and I was told by my senior that I should start to take a course in child psychiatry by the beginning of October, so as a preparation I should see at least a child per week to be a little familial with their problems and trying to solve it…
I managed the first child good, the second better, but the third, the third… oh god the third was really difficult, he was 9 years old and was having a severe form of ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) with mental retardation due to deafness.. the correct order of saying that would be deafness with metal retardation and ADHD…how can I communicate with him?? I communicated offcourse with his mother and brother who is 11 years old…but after about 20 minutes of the interview he was really agitated.. crying and jumping and yelling and running with anger in the room of the meeting…I was not that calm but I found that his mother is calm…more calm than me… she used to see him acting like that.. and then she told me with her sweet nice calm voice (he wants papers to tear) and went to him and gave him a piece of paper, he calmed down, went up into the bench of the exam, and started to tear the paper with great pleasure… when he ended the first he start to shout again, I went to him and give him the second… when he finished he came to me shouting, I gave him the third, then the forth, the fifth, and till the interview ended… I was happy to feel that I could control a child like him…but…but I was missing one of the papers of the case sheet.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Sami,
Wow, what an interesting case of a child and what calms him down. It is amazing the very different things that children use to soothe themselves. My son, who is 16 (today!) and has AS, carries around a (kind of well worn) favorite water bottle and sometimes, depending on where we are going, a bunch of his favorite cd's. He also listens to music on the way to school and as soon as school lets out, to help him "come down". I feel, in a way, I can understand a little of what this mother goes through, having a son with a similar disorder. I am glad she discovered something that calms him. Did you ever find y o u r paper....? smile.

Best always, tracy

Anonymous said...

PS I am looking for that book, "Marymound"...? and will let you know when I find a copy, it sounds very, very good. I just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns", excellent, but not nearly as good as "The Kite Runner"...that one truly touched my heart. I am now reading a book by a surgeon, about his residency years. It is very good both sad and funny and fascinating. The author has a funny, self-depreciating (sp?) sense of humor. I love books by doctors about their lives. I wish there were more by psychiatrists...my favorite one by a psychiatrist is "In a House of Dreams and Glass", it is excellent. I am sorry for so much rambling on your blog. Thank you, tracy

bye again and take care of yourself, tracy

saminkie said...

Dear Tracy, it is a great pleasure to me to read your comments... actually these days when I write I put in my mind that you will read this blog and what you will think about it... thank you for your support and for your nice words... and please keep writing..and what did you meant by AS, is it Asperger's Syndrome? or something else...
you have said before that you don't have a thing to write in a blog...well Tracy, the way you write your comments sound great and I encourage you to open a blog.. and I will be the first to be addict on it... Bye and take care

saminkie said...

and Tracy did you I was not sure that I made the connection between the lyrics and the the other part clear? ..

regarding Maryoud I have read it in Arabic, and am not sure it is available in English, and regarding the novels and other books you read i cannot have a copy of them here in Iraq...

take care and bye

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Sami,
Thank you for your lovely comments. You are truly a good and kind person, the kind I wish I could know "in person" . Thank you again and be well, tracy

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Sami,

Thank you for the information on the book...I am so hoping I can find a copy of it in english...the way you described you reaction to it is priceless, so the book must be as well. I noticed something while browsing through the various descriptions of mental disorders that really "hit" me. It concerned depression and is so true. It went some thing like "...these patients can smile, but you don't (or can't) see it in their e y e s ."
How very, very true. Just wanted to share. Thank you, tracy

3eeraqimedic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
saminkie said...

thank you 3eeraqimedic for your commnet I will look for that film you talk about...thankmyou again..